We hope that this message finds you well. Most people around the world are affected by COVID-19 and many continue to experience difficult times. We thank all those people who have been working on the frontline responding to the crisis, and we hope that everyone stays safe. We care deeply about everyone’s health and have taken steps to protect our staff.
The pandemic has had, and will have, a massive impact on the world as we know it, including individual health, health-care systems, the global economy, trade, travel, production, food and job security, etc. It is the biggest disruption to daily life around the globe since the Second World War.
Just as with the extreme 2019 climate events, which included floods, fires, and storms, and which were not one-off occasions but part of a global pattern of climate change, so too is this viral outbreak not a stand-alone event, despite the fact that it is one of the most virulent pandemics in the past hundred years.
The situation is made even more complex by the flood of often conflicting information about the environment. As such, it requires some time and careful consideration to arrive at a well-informed understanding of things.
It is therefore important that we consider all the facts, correlations, and implications holistically. ProVeg is undertaking a careful assessment of the current situation:
- We analyse new data from all relevant sectors in order to inform our solutions.
- We are mindful of the sensitivity of the subject, and appreciate the enormous strain the situation is placing on people.
- We are in the process of identifying the building blocks of a longer-term, sustainable, and systemic solution.
- We are identifying the most promising and effective ways to raise awareness about the connection between our outdated food system and the current crisis.
- We are working to reach out to key decision makers and thought leaders who regard a resilient food system as a key risk-mitigation strategy for future pandemics.
ProVeg International is a food awareness organization working to transform the global food system by replacing animal products with sustainable, humane, just, and healthy alternatives. ProVeg works with international decision-making bodies, governments, food producers, investors, the media, and the general public to help the world transition to a society and economy that are less dependent on animal agriculture and more sustainable for humans, animals, and the planet.
We are active in eight countries and regions: Greater China, South Africa, Spain, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, and the US. Through our Grants Programme we work with dozens of other organisations around the world.We also have UN observer status and UN Environment Programme accreditation (UNEA).
ProVeg is well-placed to work across social sectors and national borders in order to respond to the crisis. We will develop joint calls-to-action and proposals to future-proof our global food system.
We will keep you updated and share relevant and scientifically sound information about our solution and approach over the coming weeks and months.